Friday, April 29, 2011

Introducing...

...Henrietta!

That's right, we have a chicken. We affectionately call her Henny...sometimes Henny Penny.

Thanks to our good ol' neighbor Joe, my children are experiencing a taste of down home farmin'. On Easter morning, as I was coming out of the bathroom after my shower, Eli came running up to me emphatically shouting, "Mom, don'tlookdon'tlookdon'tlook!!!" Naturally my mother instincts went on high alert as my 9 yr. old son insisted I close my eyes while he eagerly led me into our playroom. What do my eyes behold upon opening? A chicken. A chicken! A little baby chicken! My first reaction was not one of enthusiasm or glee as my children's had been. I was...flabbergasted...and a not a little disgusted as I thought of how germy birds are. I think
I covered it up pretty well, though, as I pasted a smile on my face and said, "There's a chicken in our playroom!" What do you do with a chick when you're getting ready for church, and then actually go to church? Grandpa took the screen off my kitchen window so we could put it over her tub. Since she had jumped out of said tub and onto the floor while we were outside taking pictures. When we got home from church, the kids met Henny with fresh excitement, and took turns holding her again. We had planned on giving her to some friends who have a hobby farm in WI; but when we didn't hear back from them before my folks left on Monday morning, we decided we'd just keep her and make the best of it. We thought the experience would be a fun, educational one for the kids who had fallen in love with her instantly. Not gonna lie. 24 hours later, I was in the same boat. Jared wasn't far behind. So...

Introducing...

...Lovely & Lilly!
That's right, we have chickens. Not a chicken. Chickens. And we love them! Each of the kids have their own. Eli claimed Henny right away. Ezra named his Lovely. He started with Lovey; but changed it to Lovely, because she's lovely. That just makes me smile. Lydia is the proud owner of a little fluffy yellow one. She started with the name Lydia. Then Fruity. Then moved on to Juicy. I decided it was time to step in. I just couldn't stomach calling her sweet little chick "Juicy". I gave her several options that started with "L" like Lydia, and she chose Lilly.

We're having a blast with these little chicks! They're cute, they're little, they're low maintenance, and they don't live in our house. They're perfect for us right now. We won't be able to move them with us, but Jared and I decided to get the 2 other chicks anyway, so we could experience this little stint with farm animals to the fullest! One of my life group girls is coming over tomorrow morning to build the small coop with the kids. [Aunt Laura would be so proud;)]

I wonder about Your timing with things sometimes, Lord; but I have to admit that this has been a fun little twist on our journey. And I'm thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment