Wednesday, May 4, 2011

My Strengths

I just took the "Strengths Finder 2.0" test. Jared had taken the test shortly after we moved here. It was a YFC thing. I took it, because there's a couple here that is going to go over our strengths with us, and teach us how to best utilize our strengths within our marriage. I'm really excited about it! I've always known that Jared and I make a great team, but this will help us fine tune some things, and also learn more about each other and what makes us tick from the inside out. Our communication might improve, how we relate to each other, how we meet each other's needs. So, anyway, I took the test yesterday. I'm not really sure what I was expecting; but when I got my results I was actually disappointed. None of my strengths are particularly special. Nothing especially attractive or fun or anything that would really draw people. Nothing the least bit sparkly or charismatic. I even feel like my top 5 strengths are such that a person really has to get to know me before they can recognize any of these things and be positively effected by them.

My top 5 strengths are:

Belief - I have certain core values that are unchanging. Out of these values emerges a defined purpose for my life.

Intellection - I am characterized by my intellectual activity. (Really?) I am introspective and appreciate intellectual discussions.

Input - I have a craving to know more. I like to collect and archive all kinds of information.

Responsibility - I take psychological ownership of what I say I will do. I am committed to stable values such as honesty and loyalty.

Restorative - I am adept at dealing with problems. I am good at figuring our what is wrong and resolving it.

There are several paragraphs under each strength about what might make me stand out from others who have the same theme in their top 5. Then there are several ideas for application for each strength. And, finally, statements from several people that have the same theme in their top 5 and what that looks like for them.

The statements helped, because I could really relate to what several of the people said. At first, though, I just felt like I was a stuffy introvert who likes big words and has a penchant to fix things. That's way simplifying it, but there it is. Jared said that tells him that I'm a deep thinker (shocker) and these strengths make me a great writer. Good point. The "light bulb"
that made the biggest difference for me, though, was this: These God-given strengths make me a uniquely qualified, great mom for Judah.

My core values effect how I view Judah as a person; an image-bearer. I have a "deep and abiding concern for others." I devote myself to helping him. My intellect allows me to file away information that may be useful at a later time. Because of my good memory, I'm able to process what I've read now or at a later time. I can "continually absorb, integrate, or catalog new information with ease." My desire to know more and ability to archive means that I intuitively gather facts or artifacts, and can determine what is useful. I can also simplify complicated details. My strong sense of responsibility means that I am driven to do what I say I will do. I enjoy helping others. I do what it takes to get something done. My adeptness at dealing with problems allows me to analyze my mistakes and figure out "what knowledge I need to acquire and skills I need to sharpen." I "generally let the pressures of each day determine what I need to revise, correct, repair, remodel, upgrade, revamp, or rework." I always kinda thought that I do what I do for Judah, I remember what I do, I keep together what I do, because I'm his mom and any mom would. But I realize now that God has specifically gifted me to be the exact mom that Judah needs. His OT confirmed to me today that the strengths and abilities I've displayed to her & his other therapists over the last couple years are not "the norm". I think that's so cool! I have totally been downplaying God's design all this time, and I didn't even know it. Of course these strengths make me a good mom for all my kids; but given Judah's many unique needs, I can see how God masterfully designed him and me to fit together. When I look at Jared's strengths I see the same thing. A compilation of gifts that God purposefully designed, and then amalgamated* with mine to create a beautiful masterpiece of teamwork, soul-sharing, and family.

Like I said before, I'm excited to see how I can purposefully utilize these strengths in my relationship with Jared, and also in my roles as Kingdom Laborer, mom, and friend.

*I couldn't resist. Intellection says: "Chances are good that you may select unusual words to describe your ideas or feelings. Perhaps your extensive vocabulary allows you to capture people's interest." And Input says: "It's very likely that you may add theoretical, intricate, technical, or difficult-to-understand words to your vocabulary." It's just kinda funny, because when I'm writing if I can't find just the right word, or it's on the tip of my tongue, I go right to my online thesaurus. I love it!

[All of the above information comes from Tom Rath's "Strengths Finder 2.0" and Gallup, Inc.]

No comments:

Post a Comment