Sunday, November 13, 2011

He's a Writer

Jared still writes me letters. Weekly. I haven't counted recently, but I don't think I can add 1 more letter to the pile that has grown in my sock drawer. (I'm looking forward to going to Hobby Lobby to find a special something to keep them all in.) A few weeks ago, as I was reading his latest letter, it occurred to me that Jared has really grown in his writing. When he first started writing to me over a year ago, his words didn't do the heart of the letter justice. Writing - expressing emotion, conveying heartfelt appreciation, & beautiful words - didn't come easily to him. I never doubted that he felt all of those things and desired to clearly communicate that to me; he just didn't really know how. But now, having written numerous letters over so many months, he has developed the ability to express beautiful, meaningful, tenderhearted, loving words that continually blow me away. He's learned how to express his thoughts and feelings in a way that speaks to me, the woman I am in my soul. He's become poetic. He's even found writings (he won't tell me where) that seem to have been meant specifically for me. He's a writer.

The best thing I can equate it to is the woman who has married a sports fanatic. She doesn't really care about sports; but she loves her man, so she doesn't make a big deal about the fact that he wants to spend Saturday watching football...or whatever. Because she loves him so much, she decides to watch the games with him. She listens to him when he talks about the latest news in athletics. She even buys herself a t-shirt supporting her husband's favorite team. Before she knows it she has become an avid sports fan, anticipating watching the next game with her husband and keeping up on the news with him. She has become a fan for her husband, because she was already a fan of her husband's.

When I talked to Jared about it he said he didn't intend to become a writer from the beginning. He said he never thought about it like that. I think that's amazingly cool; because he started writing letters just for the love of me, without any thought for himself. His letters have taken on deeper meaning now that I see what he has become, the skills that God has honed in him on my behalf. This relationship that we have in letters really benefits us both. I love that.

Just another reason I believe Jared to be the most extraordinary man on the planet. I am so rich.

No comments:

Post a Comment