Monday, July 13, 2009

Happy Anniversary

Jared and I celebrated our anniversary last month. 9 years. God has packed a lot into those 9 years. Seems like we could've celebrated our 20th because of all the Lord has taught us and brought us through. He used each trial and walk through the fire to prepare and equip us for the next trial. He continually pursued us, deepened and enriched our faith, and gave us a more passionate and intimate love for Him and for each other. And He even used all of that to prepare and equip us for Judah...whether I feel prepared or not. So, anniversaries have become pretty meaningful to us. It's an opportunity to celebrate each other, but also to celebrate all that God has done in and through and for us in the previous year. And it's a chance to renew our commitment to be faithful to each other and to follow God in the upcoming year - whatever He may bring. This year we celebrated a little differently. We got tattoos. Something we've been wanting to do for a long time. Jared got his on his wedding ring finger, symbolizing his lifelong commitment to me, but also to God. I got mine on my right index finger, the traditional Jewish wedding ring finger. That symbolizes my commitment to God, the beauty of being grafted in to the Jewish "family", and being the bride of Christ. The best part is what the tattoo says: "BUTGOD". The 2 most beautiful, significant, and phenomenal words in Scripture (in my humble opinion)! Any time those 2 words are used, something that can be described using one of those words happens. My favorite use is from Romans 5:8. BUT GOD demonstrated His love for us by giving up His Son for us while we were still His enemies (my paraphrase). We were vile and unworthy and haters of God; BUT GOD loved us. It's amazing. And these 2 words pretty much sum up my relationship with Him. I am weak, BUT GOD is strong and my strength. I am afraid, BUT GOD is always with me. My life is hard and scary and so uncertain, BUT GOD is good and faithful and gracious; BUT GOD will cause His good to come from the hard things in my life. I could probably fill up pages with all the "BUT GODs" that He is and does. So this mark that I bear on my finger - I can't get away from it. It's a constant reminder. It's a testimony to those that see it and ask about it. I'm so glad we did it.

2 comments:

  1. Stephanie R13/7/09 10:32 PM

    How beautiful, Bethany. Anniversaries are exciting milestones and a good reminder of God's faithfulness in and through us human beings! Celebrating God's goodness to your family with you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My congratulations on your anniversary! May God bless your coming year together with His loving presence.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete