Thursday, July 16, 2009

The journey is theirs...

More good news! Judah was 7 lb. 4 oz. at his weight check this morning! Funny to think that Lydia weighed that when we brought her home, and Ezra was still bigger at birth. But at least we're moving in the right direction. The NG tube that I pulled out on Tues. (because we just weren't using it) stays out! We're increasing his volume to 70ml every 3 1/2 hrs. and we can wait 2 whole weeks before we have to go back:) By then maybe he'll fit into his clothes!

I've been thinking about this journey that we're on. Of course it's Judah's. It's mine and Jared's, too. A journey not only with Judah, but even more with Christ; growing in Him, knowing Him better, and learning what it means to be like Him. But what's become more and more apparent to me is the fact that this journey also belongs to my other 3 kids. It looks different for them, but it is no less a part of their stories than it is ours. I am eager to see how God uses Judah to change Eli's, Ezra's, and Lydia's lives. They will not be the people they would've been without Judah; they will be better. I believe that they will grow up to be compassionate, sensitive, protective adults, accepting of others; especially those with special needs. I believe they'll learn to "cheer for the underdog", and be advocates for those who are left behind or ridiculed. I am eager to watch them grow up with Judah, "practicing" all of these qualities on him first. My kids are going to be very special big kids, teens, and adults; good friends, caring spouses and parents - more so than they ever could be without knowing and caring for Judah. So, while I never would have asked God to give us a child with special needs, I'm thankful that He did for my other 3. I'm thankful for other reasons too...but today it's about my kiddos:)










And just so everyone else knows how blessed Judah is..... Today he had a little bit of a "debut". We met Jared and some high schoolers at Hy-Vee for lunch. First time with Judah. I wasn't sure if any of the students would ask about his cleft, or even notice. Judah was in the sling, so they couldn't really see him; but towards the end I gave him to Jared so he could show off his little Jr. JStew. About a minute later Eli very proudly declared that Judah has extra little fingers! I love it! My kids don't see anything weird or odd or especially different about Judah. They love him so much just because he's their baby brother! And they're so proud of him! There's not a hint of embarrassment or hesitation when it comes to Judah's birth defects - just pride and affection. And speaking of those little fingers, Ezra counts Judah's every time he holds him. Always checking to make sure there's still 6...on each hand:)

5 comments:

  1. tommarianne16/7/09 5:51 PM

    The pictures of your beautiful family are priceless! You are so blessed!
    We love you all!
    Tom and Marianne:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. if I lived in the states I could have passed along all the Preemie clothes that I still have!!!!:) Little babies are the BEST!! Great Post..still praying for you as you continue to adjust to life with your precious baby boy being home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will be amazed each day as you see God's work in your children! God has a VERY SPECIAL purpose for Judah and his brothers and sister.
    Thank you for the wonderful pictures they are priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for your prayers. i'm sorry i'm not the only one not getting much sleep. i pray for Judah when I pray for Evie. it's weird hoping you child will make it to the nicu. i saw two of your kiddies with Jared at church this morning, sorry i missed you and Judah, i hope i get to see his sweet face soon. thanks for the pictures, he gives me hope (: love your family

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT post. It is so true. Last night we had a friend spend the night on his way back to VA from CO, and visiting with him showed me how God has worked in his life, too, through the short life of his little sister Pauline who was born with chromosome 18 disorder and a deformed heart. She lived until she was 11, and what a little girl she was! I was priveleged to know her, and see how she touched so many lives. But the most touched were those of her family, her mom and 3 brothers. :)

    ReplyDelete