Tuesday, March 17, 2009

for HIS glory

Did I ever mention why that phrase has become so important to us? Or that it has? So much so that that's the reason I chose to go by that "name" for this blog? That's another evidence of God's grace and work in our lives through Judah. In the dark days of waiting and wondering God impressed on us the importance of His glory. That's nothing new really; His glory and living in a way to bring Him glory has been a part of our story for the last several years...ever since Bible school when John Piper made an impact on us, I guess. Anyway, that's not the point. The point is that God brought that front and center again in this chapter of the story of our family. I'm pretty sure it was Jared who first said that God was allowing this "trial" into our lives for His glory...and that he wanted us to bring Him glory because of and through this. And I found that conviction to be so encouraging, because it reminded me that this isn't really about us. Ultimately it's about God - the One in control and orchestrating all of this - and what He will choose to do in us, through us, and for us. Regardless of the pain that Judah's condition brought, the pressure was off. When I say that now, it doesn't seem to make sense; but I really believe that choices to live like that and believe things like that about Him are just evidences that Christ is at work in us. It's not really me saying that, but Christ in me. So, as we went further with the conviction to ask God to be glorified through this no matter what, God took us to the next level. God's grace enabled me to say that I wanted glory for Him, even if that meant that Judah really wouldn't be "o.k.". If a miracle that would completely heal Judah would bring God the most glory, then that's what I want. If a little boy born with physical deformities and other special needs would bring Him the most glory, than that's what I want. On the one hand, we could share with all the hospital and medical staff we come into contact with that God performed a miracle and He is awesome and good and faithful! On the other hand, we could share with all those same people that God is awesome and good and faithful, in the midst of the pain, fear, and uncertainty that would surely come with having a little boy with special needs. What would be more powerful? What would have more impact? What would draw those lost people to God more effectively? I have no idea. I'm scared to death that it might be to have a child with special needs. But I choose to cling to the promise that God's grace will be over-abundantly sufficient for me then, too. And whomever might read this, don't for one second think that I'm so strong and my faith is so solid! I just said I'm scared to death!! Deep down I want Judah to be born "normal". But even deeper down, where Christ is most intimately acquainted with me, I want His will and His glory more. But that's Christ, not me.
As inadequately as I feel I've expressed myself here, that's about it. That's how the desire for His glory has come about because of Judah. Now that I think about it, God has already accomplished quite a bit through this little person who is still yet to be. Huh. Makes me really wonder what He has planned for the next 3 months...and years...and decades of this journey with Judah.

6 comments:

  1. wow...Bethany, powerful writing here...maybe you should publish a book when you have more time...you are a great writer. Love your honesty and the work that Christ is doing in your life. I am amazed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, bring on the water-works. I really am turning into a softy in my old age. :) Thank you for the wonderful reminder that though we all struggle with life's "troubles", deep down we have the hope that God has our best interest at heart, that what he is doing in us is for his glory, that he is creating a beautiful masterpiece in our lives. I love ya, girl...you challenge & encourage me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bethany,
    I didn't know about this blog until I got your newsletter today. Thank you so much for sharing all of this with us. I read the all the entries so I could feel caught up. I love you so much..you have always been such an example to me, in many ways and now as I read you seeking God's glory, I'm challenged anew. love, prayers and hugs. I'd love to go for peanut butter/chocolate milkshakes at the Longhorn with you
    Amanda R Sewell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh precious ones,
    I have been so blessed watching
    God grow you up in Him, long before Judah was even a thought...and I am even more blessed to hear you be so honest about your struggle and
    your heart.
    you are loved
    hugs and kisses
    aunt verna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bethany- Jenny here from "The Life I Have Been Given."

    I so appreciated your post you left on my blog the other day. And I totally relate to "not being ready" to look back at our adventure. My husband and I chose not to really think about our daughter's deformity because honestly, it stressed me out and made me not enjoy my pregnancy.

    I know you're going through a lot more than we did, seeing as your precious boy may have more problems than just a cleft lip, so I will be in thought and prayer for you when you come to mind. God is so good, though, and totally gives us what is GOOD for us - "every perfect gift comes from the Father of Lights" (James 2). Our little Bella is the hugest gift of all - one that I couldn't ever have imagined loving this much.

    There are some things, though, that we learned along the way that could have been easier if we had researched and looked into surgical issues PRE-birth. So, if you ever have any questions, or just need to vent, please feel free to email me. I know I had many random people give me their phone number and email during our journey because they knew someone who had a cleft and it rather bothered me. So I don't mean to pry or bother, just want to make myself available.

    God bless you and your family,
    Jenny
    j.pruddie@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Dearest Bethany & Jared,
    I've only just been made aware of this 'blog'...such an ugly word to describe your beautiful writing! I'm still reading back in the beginning but am treasuring ever moment. What a gift these words will be to Judah one day! By the way, he is glorius and we love so much already! It just doesn't seem possible, someone we've never met can mean sooo much to much to us! I love you both so very much and praise God for the faith He has given you! Our love to those "3 prior precious packages" you were given, X0X0X0X to them!

    lots of love
    Aunt Kamille (and family)

    ReplyDelete