Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Round 2

My second appointment with Dr. Bonebrake went really well. I know God sent me to him! His personality is a great match with mine:) He's gentle, compassionate, genuine, professional, very knowledgeable, sarcastic, and freaking hilarious...with a dry-ish sense of humor! He can be telling me something serious and potentially scary about Judah one minute, and the next he's cracking a joke. He's perfect for me!
Because all of Judah's chromosomes came back normal, his nuchal fold and kidneys are no longer an issue - thank You, Jesus! His growth looks great and he's super active. Only a problem when the ultrasound tech is trying to measure this kid! The big concern, though, continues to be his ventricles. They were slightly more dilated this time, but Dr. B. said it wasn't significant. However, because the ultrasound limits just how much detail of Judah's brain he can see, he recommended a fetal MRI. A million pictures of my belly, which will actually be pictures of Judah, so they can see his brain clearly. Dr. B. is hoping to determine whether or not there are any other anomalies in Judah's brain. That may effect what happens after he's born. He talked to me about the likelihood that Judah will face some kind of procedure to drain the extra fluid from his brain, possibly a shunt, and that he will most likely not come home with us right away after birth. I'm not even going to think about that right now. Too much, still too painful. He said that the hospital staff will watch him very closely after birth, because his ventricles may become even more enlarged following delivery. We're looking at a consult of sorts with a pediatric neurosurgeon, and an appointment with the genetics counselor at the hospital to talk about possible syndromes and implications of his condition.
So, it was good news and it was...news. I still have so many questions. I'm so thankful that God is in charge here, because otherwise I think I would be battling hopelessness and despair along with everything else. But I don't despair, and I don't lose hope. My hope is in Christ and He is my Refuge! My Solid Rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment