Saturday, May 8, 2010

"Patient Suffering"

Our pastor gave an awesome message last Sunday. As I was sitting under this incredible teaching from Scripture, I was thanking Jesus from my heart that all 3 of my children were in their Sunday School classes (a rare occurrence) and Judah was sleeping, leaving me free to listen and absorb without distraction. I knew that this was a message I had to share here! Any of my own thoughts I'll put in italics, lest someone think that I'm much smarter or more eloquent than I really am;) Hopefully I do this "recap" justice.

The message was based on Romans 12:12, focusing on suffering.
1. Suffering strengthens character
- Rom. 8:28-29, 5:1-5; James 1:2-4
- It develops spiritual maturity (something that a "pleasant" life does not accomplish)
- If we respond in the right way, suffering will soften our hearts

2. Suffering deepens our compassion
- 2 Cor. 1:3-4
- God knows us intimately in our suffering and comforts us. Because of the comfort we
receive from Him, and because of Christ in us, we are able to comfort others

3. Suffering, handled with grace, strengthens others
- Phil. 1:21-24
- Our lives become proof that God really does care
- Our lives encourage others to persevere
- Eph. 3:10
- Our lives glorify God before an invisible spiritual world
This verse and principle was new to me. I don't think I had ever heard this before, but it's really cool! To think that the way I handle suffering is being observed from the spiritual world is...humbling...overwhelming...a little daunting. Even when I'm all alone, and I think no one is watching, no one remembers, these beings are "glued to the set". Who am I to warrant any attention like this? I am His bride, made in His image, a picture of His grace and glory. Wow.
- He then shared a quote from Joni Erickson Tada that was amazing. She wrote about a man
who suffered alone in his home, and yet he wasn't really alone. He silently gave glory to
God before the spiritual realm. It was a pretty powerful example.

4. Suffering raises our confidence in Christ
- What was once just words and promises we read in Scripture about God's faithfulness and
goodness, etc. become conviction
- It raises our confidence in God's faithfulness (trial after trial produces a deep & abiding
confidence; one that only suffering can produce)

Now that I see this "on paper", I see that I really didn't do this justice. How do I share this message that was so powerful to me, and spoke so poignantly to my heart?! These are some of the thoughts that I had as Pastor Steve was teaching:
*Jared & I have gone through several significant trials, and have experienced pain and suffering we never thought would be ours. As we look back it's obvious to see that God only allowed what we could bear (which He actually bore for us) at the time. Each trial was progressively harder, but because of what God taught us and faithfully brought us through, we were prepared for the next. Well, as prepared as we needed to be.
* I DO NOT want these last 18 months to be wasted! I want my heart to be soft. I want to be marked by my compassion for others who are suffering. I want to be known for a gracious spirit. I want to reach out to others and be used by God to bring about change for someone else. This experience with Judah has been a phenomenal one in so many ways, and I want God to use it to the fullest!
*I think the statement that could best be used to describe the purpose of suffering is this: Suffering deepens our intimacy with Christ and our passion for Him. It gives us an acute awareness of our desperate need for Him!

After the service Rob led us in this song. Definitely a new favorite!

"God Be Praised"
by David & Alena Moore
You saved my life from death
When I was all but defeated
You spoke Your promises
And brought life to my weakness
Came as a conquering king
And You warred for my freedom
My soul can't help but sing
Hallelujah
You opened up my eyes
For the first time I saw You
Your love commanding life
And deserving devotion
You told me who I am
Now in faith I believe it
My soul can't help but sing
Hallelujah
You've made a place for me
Silenced all my accusers
Leading me forth with peace
Filled with joy I will follow
Your cross demands my life
Now Your grace is my anthem
My soul can't help but sing
Hallelujah
Hallelujah, we're redeemed and made free
By the blood of the Lamb we have won
Hallelujah, we will sing victory
Jesus conquered the grave
God be praised

No comments:

Post a Comment