Friday, May 21, 2010

Randomness

I realized that I haven't really updated on normal every day kind of stuff in awhile. I get caught up in the busyness of keeping track of everyone and staying on top of everything that all of a sudden it's been a couple weeks since I've been here! I constantly have blog posts running through my brain, but actually getting them down "on paper" is sometimes quite an accomplishment. So, while the kids are busy at the table with a game...

Judah has been doing really well since he got over his bronchitis. He's such a fun baby! The kids still love to entertain him and help with him. It's such a joy to watch them interact with him and love him so unconditionally. My heart swells with pride for my older 3 every time they cheer on Judah and celebrate with him over the littlest achievements! He is so blessed to have them in his corner, and they are so blessed to have him in their lives!

Developmentally Judah has made more progress. He's able to hold his head up for longer periods of time and look around. When he's on his tummy he can push his head and shoulders up off the floor and look around, too! And he's an expert at rolling from his tummy to his back...since the little stinker doesn't really like to be on his tummy. He's transferring toys from one hand to another, he's putting his pacifier in his mouth by himself, and he's becoming more vocal. No new sounds yet, but he's definitely trying to communicate more...with his body language, too:) He doesn't like taking any food from a spoon, but he loves biter biscuits. Dip it in baby food and he likes that, too! He has a hard time sitting up straight. I'm not sure if he has difficulty breathing in that position because of the lower muscle tone, but it's obviously uncomfortable for him and he lets me know. So, he's getting a special adjustable chair from his therapists that will allow him to sit in a somewhat reclined position, gradually moving him into a completely upright position. The goal is to get him off his back on the floor and into an upright position on a more regular basis. I've been working with his feet a lot, thanks to the help and recommendations from his PT. He hasn't been able to put any weight on his legs or feet, but after 2 weeks of focusing on that he actually pushed against the floor and put weight on his legs and feet when his PT stood him up on Wednesday - yay, Judah!!

Anticipating Judah's 1st birthday has been fun; but it has also forced me into a reality check that has been hard to deal with. Another phase of grieving. I live in a sort of time warp. I lose sight of Judah's age, and just focus on what he's doing and what we're working on. And I enjoy him just for who he is. But it finally hit me that he's going to be a year old, and he is not normal. I've been struggling to process the fact that I have "a child with special needs" all over again. And then I grieve over losses that I thought I was done grieving over. And I grieve over an unknown, difficult future. I talked about this stuff with Judah's OT, Teacher, & Services Coordinator when they were here last week. That was a very good move, because we went over all the progress he's made since his skills assessment in February, and they were so encouraging and proud of him! They also built me up and said again how lucky Judah is to be a part of our family. (Of course, I believe that God designed Judah to be a very special part of our family, and we are the blessed ones!) Anyway, since talking to them this has been a little easier to deal with; but I'm anticipating that amid all the happy, celebratory feelings I'll have on his birthday, there will also be some sad, bittersweet ones. Well, I guess when those feelings creep up it'll just be time to grab that sweet, lovey boy and snuggle! His smile is good medicine:)

Finally, we have a new manufacturer for Judah's Growth Hormone Therapy (GHT). Genentech, through Nutropin Access Solutions, will now be partnering with us on this journey...so to speak:) I've spoken with our new rep and signed the necessary paperwork; now we wait for them to contact the insurance company and contact a distributor. The process will take 3-4 weeks. So, Lord willing, in June I'll have my "injection training" and we'll be ready to rock 'n roll!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your struggles with us. It helps me to know specifically what to pray for.

    I also don't know of any mom who doesn't wish they had more time in the infant stage. That stage goes by way to fast. So while the reality of Judah's age may discourage you, I pray you enjoy this lengthened time of infancy, howevery long it may be :) You have something there the rest of us don't.

    Love, Alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, I love picture #2 in this post. Adorable!!!

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bethany,
    I read all of the things he's doing and sat here thinking "Wow! Go, Judah! That's amazing!"
    I totally understand (well, as much as I can not living what you're living) what you're saying about all of those accomplishments and then thinking "He's turning 1." That would be hard and is certainly something to grieve.
    But at the same time, WOW! He's developing right along! Certainly, it's all a bit later compared to "normal" but I think it's just wonderful that he continues to develop new skills...at his own wonderful pace:)
    I'll be thinking of you on his birthday:)
    ~ Cara

    ReplyDelete