Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Urology...Ugh

Today was Judah's big urology "work-up". VCUG, blood work, and a visit with the doctor. It was awful. The VCUG is a test they run by inserting a catheter and then pushing a dye through it to see how the kidney reflux is...doing. They look at the ureters and kidneys, the bladder - everything. The catheter was the problem. Without going into detail, it took several attempts to get the cath in, and by the end of it Judah was hurting, and so was my heart. I hate appointments like this. I know that tests like this are important (they help the doctor determine how Judah is doing and whether or not surgery is necessary sooner than later), but at the time it just really sucks. I'm helpless. Judah is strapped to this little "baby rotisserie" and all I can do is hold his pacifier in his mouth, hold his hands, and talk soothingly to him. And pray. I did a lot of that today. I told Jesus that I know He's with us right then and He sees Judah. He knows what's happening and He cares about it. Won't You do something? Won't you allow them to get this thing in without anymore discomfort to Your little cub?! While we were waiting for the urology resident to come down (they had to call urology upstairs because no one in radiology could cath him) I got to cuddle Judah for several minutes. It was then that I took advantage of my unlimited texting:) I texted Jared and 5 very important women, asking them to pray. So, when the worst part came, I knew that not only was Jesus with us, but we were being covered in prayer as well. That really meant a lot. Thankfully the resident got it in - finally - and they were able to complete the test. The reflux hasn't improved at all since birth, but since the daily antibiotics are keeping him infection-free we don't need to talk about surgery any time soon - praise the Lord!

Another thankfully: the blood they needed only required a finger poke! A piece of cake, considering:)

The prayer in this area of Judah's health continues to be that the antibiotics will keep him infection-free so that he can avoid a surgical repair until age 5. And I'm praying that there won't be any need for another catheter until his next VCUG a year from now.

Thanks, Lord, for coming with us today. For lovingly holding Judah in Your hands...and me, too. Thanks for caring about the details...every one that's so complicated for this little lion. Thanks for placing faithful women in my life that love You and me and Judah. I love You, and I'm so relieved and comforted to know You!

No comments:

Post a Comment