Tuesday, May 25, 2010

April Shower

**This is dedicated to the one I love**
DISCLAIMER:
Desperate times call for desperate measures.
So don't judge us!
I have been looking forward to being able to write a post about another area of Judah's progress. Progress that only a mother could really, truly appreciate. I couldn't wait to finally record for history the day that Judah "showered" me with... Well, here's the story.
At the end of April Jared and I had the opportunity to go out on a date, a rare treat. He had gotten a gift certificate for a new restaurant - an upscale pizza place - and we were really excited to get out for an evening of new food and good conversation...just the 3 of us:) The evening was going well. We had been seated, had looked over the menu, asked a dozen questions since half the menu consists of genuine Italian ingredients, and had just ordered our pizza. While we eagerly anticipated said pizza, I remembered that Judah needed a diaper change. I suspected that this one was of the stinky variety...but wasn't entirely sure. Just to play it safe, I declared that it was Jared's turn to change him, and would he pleeaase? That husband of mine, being of the wonderful, amazing, helpful, hot (which I realize has nothing to do with whether or not he'll change a diaper, I just like telling everyone that I'm married to a hot redhead) variety, graciously agreed. I grabbed the diaper bag for him, but upon checking for the wipes and diapers, I found to my utter horror (and embarrassment, I might add, striving to be the kind of mom who is on top of everything all the time [laugh out loud here]) that the all-important diapers were nowhere to be found! What to do? What to do? Enter the desperate measures needed to survive this desperate time. I advised said hot husband to just go ahead and check him. "I'm sure he's probably just wet." And if not? Well...just...cleanhimuprealgoodandwipeoutthediepaerandputitbackonandwe'llneverspeakofthisagain. "But really, I'm sure you won't have to do that." So, away they went to the bathroom. A couple minutes later our mouth-watering pizza arrived. A couple minutes later...I was still sitting alone, salivating over this pizza. A couple minutes later...turned into a couple more...and a couple more...and a couple more...until finally I texted my brave, unbelievably capable hubby, wondering if everything was alright. I kept looking over my shoulder at the bathroom door, waiting. I actually wondered if some people in the restaurant were starting to feel sorry for me, thinking I had been stood up or something. Finally, here come my men, BIG and tiny. Upon seeing my darling husband's face, I realized that all was not well. He deposited my adorable, now clean, boy in my lap. And began thoroughly and vigorously sanitizing his hands...even though he had washed with soap in the bathroom. The word "unclean" comes to mind. I'm pretty sure that's how he was feeling. He proceeded to tell me that the men's bathroom had no changing station. So, being the resourceful man that he is, he decided to change Judah on the counter - the 1 foot wide counter. [Here's the part I can't get through without laughing!] That wonderful husband of mine took off Judah's diaper, Judah's very full, stinky diaper, and was rewarded with Judah's first little boy shower! Pants, flip flop, foot - nailed. Ignoring his own desire to be pee-free, he valiantly cleaned up Judah, wiped all the poop out of the offensive diaper, and put said diaper back on that cute baby fanny. Needless to say, this amazing, roll-with-the-punches kind of guy was not exactly thrilled when I shot my hands in the air and cheered over Judah's newest accomplishment. He didn't really appreciate the fact that I was laughing out loud either.
He can laugh about it now, though. Sort of.
After my hotty was thoroughly sanitized and antibacterialized we commenced with our dinner and enjoyed the rest of our evening. One that we will surely never forget!

2 comments:

  1. I laughed so hard, I cried! :)
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a classic story, and Bethany you did a great job telling it. Someday you should take all these blogs and put them in a book, your a gifted writer!
    Amanda Sewell

    ReplyDelete