Wednesday, August 19, 2009

My Baby is in Therapy

Not that kind...! Judah had therapy with the OT and teacher today. I came away with a much more detail-oriented picture of how to work with my boy. From talking to him on his right side to encourage him to try to turn his head that way, to stretching his thumbs out and away from his palms (he likes to hold his thumbs in tightly) I feel much more equipped to help Judah reach his goals! He was on the floor for the entire session, with a good amount of time on his tummy. It was so fun to play with him! Talking to him, touching him, watching him respond to me by moving his arms and legs, or even listening to his breathing change as he listened to me. I also loved watching his facial expressions change as I talked to him. All signs of early communication. Judah is weak, but seems to have o.k. muscle tone; and I anticipate that he will only get stronger as we work/play with him and spend time focusing on certain areas. My favorite parts of therapy? The first happened when I was holding him face-to-face. I got really close to his face, and as I talked to him I slowly moved my head. For a second it looked like he was really trying to focus, and his right eye moved slightly when I moved! The second came when he was on his tummy. He was able to lift his head just enough to veeerrryyy slowly turn it to the other side! He was active on the floor and gripped a small toy when the OT put it in his hand. He was trying to suck on his fists and even made a few little noises! Music to my ears - he was almost cooing! So, we have our homework to do now, but I'm excited and optimistic. I don't know if that's all together good or not, since we don't even know how severe Judah's delays or handicaps will be. Should I be so excited or optimistic when he might not even walk? Or if he can't see. Or...or, or, or. I may as well say a million "what ifs" and I already know that's completely pointless. Besides, I'm pretty sure God doesn't loan out grace for days yet to be. Meaning I have enough for today. And only good things happened today, so come out from under the cloud, Woman! The cloud...another post for another day. There are so many. I'm always writing posts in my head. Is that healthy?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bethany (: I've been writing my next post in my head for a few days now... so I hope that's very normal! Praying for you guys always, so good to hear about the good progress. Dr. Bonebrake wanted me to tell you that it's been peaceful in his office with no one to give him a hard time (: He also wanted me to tell you to stop in sometime and say hello (he definitely misses seeing you guys!). Thanks for blogging, it's always a blessing to read. Love and Prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rejoice in the day! What wonderful news. Don't let that cloud get you down, because there is a silver lining behind it! It's hard not to dwell on the what if's, but turn it around and look at the what "dones" All the things Judah is slowly doing, THEY are the Blessings, so hold on to them. OT was always my favorite time too....
    prayers going your way...diane rice

    ReplyDelete