Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Life with Four

A little birdie told me I was behind on updates. Well, since I'm so fond of said birdie (and since she just happens to be right), I decided I'd better start catching up!

Thankfully, we've been in a kind of "no news is good news" phase these last few weeks. We're all remaining pretty healthy; just the "required" Fall cold. Judah continues to make progress in his therapy. We're enjoying his smiles and sweet nature immensely, and gearing ourselves up emotionally and mentally for his surgery. The other 3 kids are doing great all around. Well, Lydia does have that required cold right now. The saddest part about that for her? She can't hug, hold, or kiss Judah. She is, however, allowed to kiss his toes. He's got the best loved "li'l tosies" known to man:) Jared's officially in the busy season for YFC, which won't end until March. Boo. Thank the Lord there are 3 holidays & 3 birthdays to look forward to in the midst of this time! God continues to teach me. Life with 4 kids offers an infinite supply of spiritual life lessons...and just plain old lessons! Here are just a few things I've learned from my life with 4...

*There's never - and I mean NEVER - a dull moment! Of course that makes sense when they're awake. But even when they're sleeping, there's always something to be done. My job security as a stay-at-home mom is sound. (Speaking of job security... I tease Jared about my "job security" as his wife. I know he'll never leave me, because there's no way he could ever afford child support! His response: "Seriously!")

*If you get behind on laundry, it's all over. Good luck finding your way out from under the mounds of clothes that seem to multiply exponentially. These mounds are also experts had hiding things; including, but not limited to, shoes, belts, toys, and even small children.

*When every child is whining and/or crying at the same time, DON'T PANIC! Life as you know it will not come to an end simply because the 4 & 7 year olds have to wait a bit...regardless of how many times they insist that this is the worst day they've ever had or that it's not fair. Most successful remedy for this occurrence: offer a healthy snack and a game. And "time in" in the sling works like a charm for the baby, but is also equally effective for the tired, crabby 2 1/2 year old.
NOTE: as a rule, yelling "STOP YELLING" at your yelling children doesn't work.

*Accept any help offered, and even learn to ask for it. Pride has no place in the life of a mother who spends her days wiping noses and butts, and other various household surfaces.

*Accept early the fact that your house will never look the same again, and get over it. Some clutter can be considered an art form, the refrigerator becomes a beautiful art gallery, and art on the walls and table top can't stand up to the Magic Eraser, so don't stress out.

*Stay away from WAL-MART. It eats mothers with young children alive.

*Enjoy the moments you get with each individual child. They're too few and far between.

*These are the longest days and the shortest years of your life. It's tough, but I believe that I'll never look back and wish I didn't have so many kids. I'll look back and be humbled by the evidences of God's undeserved grace and goodness in my life, manifested by these 4 little monkeys.

*God's grace really is sufficient for me. His mercies really are new every morning. He really is present with me as I go through the day, washing, wiping, and sometimes weeping. And He really has called me to the most fulfilling, rewarding, challenging, and beautiful "job" possible: that of being Mom to Elijah, Ezra, Lydia, & Judah. (Even though I'm already going gray!)

2 comments:

  1. Great post! As a mom of four boys (all under the age of 7) and one with special needs, I can totally relate! I would not change my life for one moment! We are all blessed with our little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great post Bethany. I wouldn't add a thing! And on the days that everyone is whining, including Mom, remember to take a breath and laugh. Because when you look back at that moment, you will laugh knowing it was another wonderful day at the Stewart household!
    God's love and mine, diane rice

    ReplyDelete