Thursday, February 4, 2010

Weren't we just here...?

Exactly 2 weeks after being admitted to Childrens for a virus, Judah was admitted for pneumonia. Tuesday was so wierd. Let me start from the beginning...

Judah woke up with raspy, heavy breathing and a cough. I wanted him to get a breathing treatment at the pediatrician's, so I called in. Of course I feared that another trip to the hospital was possible, but with Judah I have to be proactive. I was extremely disappointed & discouraged that this was happening on Lydia's birthday, but I knew that God was in control & had this day all mapped out for us. The ped. listened to Judah, did an RSV test, & checked his oxygen. He was at 89% - not too good. They quickly gave him a breathing/oxygen treatment, and ordered a chest xray. After his treatment his O2 was back to 100. By the time we got back from the chest xray his O2 was at 96. By the time the ped. came back with the xray results it was at 93. (This all happened within an hour.) The ped. said the tech saw pneumonia in his right lung. Since his O2 was holding over 90 at that point though, we could drive ourselves over to Childrens rather than taking an ambulance. (My, my wouldn't that have been exciting.) He needed to be closely observed over the next 24 hrs. at least. That's the 1st time I've cried on the pediatrician. I couldn't believe it! Seriously, Judah had been fine the day before. All I wanted was a breathing treatment! And on Lydia's birthday?! I felt some serious disappointment towards the Lord for a few minutes...until He graciously reminded me that He was in control, this was His good for today, His grace would carry me, His hand was on Judah, He loved us. Ok, Lord. We went to Childrens. Judah's O2 was 100%. He was smiling & cooing at the nurses. His breathing sounded better. (Like when you have a cold, and the worst part is in the morning, but then throughout the day you slowly clear up.) We went downstairs for another chest xray. Here's where the story starts getting happier. Judah has a "spot" on the upper lobe of his right lung. I believe it's been there since the NICU, but that hasn't been officially confirmed. However, when the drs. reviewed his xrays, they realized that his lung looks the same as it did in January. But if you've never seen his lung on xray before, like the tech at the ped's office, you could mistake it for pneumonia. So, long story short, Judah has a cold. A cold! We came home that evening with a nebulizer, prescriptions for ear drops and breathing medication (Albuterol), & a few more questions to ask the drs. at the Childrens Developmental Clinic that we could still go to on Wednesday. It was just a wierd day. But, thanks to some very dear friends, Jared & I, and a sleeping Judah got to enjoy dinner at Chili's while our other 3 played & and had pizza.

Happy Birthday, Lydia! I'm so glad I didn't have to miss the whole thing! And, thankfully, at 3, Lydia is still pretty forgiving about crazy days like this that happen to fall on her day.

And praise and glory to the One who did see me through that day, who brought us home within just a few hours of admit, and who continues to watch over & care for Judah intimately.

No comments:

Post a Comment