Sunday, June 5, 2011

Back to Neurology

I was initially pretty disappointed that we had to put Judah's neurologist back on his list, but the appointment went really well. I finally "clicked" with her, and felt like there was some kind of connection there. Thank You, Lord.

In her opinion the drooping eyelids and inability to look to the right is most likely a brain stem problem. More often than not, kids with muscle disease don't have reflexes, and Judah does; however, she said that alone is not a good enough test to determine the absence of disease. So, the first step is another MRI. It's been 11 months since the last one, and he's grown A LOT, so she'll get a much better picture of his brain than she has in the past. My prayer for this is that Judah won't have to be intubated when they sedate him. This would be a first, and it would make the whole process much easier for him. Pray with me! If the MRI is normal (which is obviously another prayer of mine) then we might consider having a muscle biopsy done when he's under anesthesia for the palate revision in August. I'm not excited about this. It's totally minor; but we're still talking about taking a piece of muscle, a 1 in. scar, and just another procedure. And there's no great indication at this point that he does have a muscle disease...at least as far as the neurologist is concerned. I guess the prayer here is two-fold: that I will just take one thing at a time, not worrying about what might be next; and that God will continue to give us and our doctors wisdom each step of the way.

I'm thankful that we're on the road to resolving this issue for Judah. I just wish the doctors and all the medical technology traveled at a much faster speed.

1 comment:

  1. I had to go back and look at your posts from the very beginning! It just seemed so fitting to see HOW FAR Judah has come and to see how far you have come through the journey! I will be praying for these next appointments! Excited to see you in just a few days! You are LOVED!

    ReplyDelete