Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Tennessee, How I Miss Thee

After 7 days in beautiful Tennessee with my (very nearly) entire extended family, cloudy cool weather her at home is a major downer. I'm trying to get everything unpacked, my kitchen put back together, laundry folded...games played, puzzles put together, stories read...oh, the life of a busy mom. The success in the domestic realm is minimal, but time with the kids is worth it. Or so I remind myself often as the clutter on the counters, laundry on the floor, and dirt in the bathroom threatens to overwhelm me and cause need for a brown bag as I hyperventilate. And then I decide that time here is worth it, too, so I forgo my domestic responsibilities a little longer...

The time with family in TN was priceless! Every reunion - every 3 years - gets better than the last. The biggest parts of that are the growth and maturity of my kids; and the experiences with Christ and in life that make relationships with my family members deeper, richer, and wonderful to share. (Of course, it also helps that every reunion includes new family members & babies!)

We got to "live" with one of my favorite people on the planet and her family of 6. Do the math. That's right, 12 of us in a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom cabin (more like a small house) for a week. I don't think I've ever had so much fun! Sharing meals together, working in the kitchen together, watching our kids play and interact, laughing, sharing burdens, challenging each other - It. Was. Awesome.

I loved getting to better know girls that have married into the family in the last 3 years that I now have the privilege of calling "cousin". I loved catching up and sharing with an extended cousin who also has a burden for students and works with them. I loved spending time with a younger cousin and his "new" bride, talking about the little girl they're expecting, Bible school, kids, and future camping trips together. I loved worshipping with these men and women that I am honored to call family here on earth, but have the exciting privilege of spending eternity with, too! I loved praying with them. I loved...a lot about this week!

I haven't laughed so much or so hard in a very long time. Playing games with any Narwold boy (that includes you Debelaks, too) or Phil is a hilariously entertaining adventure! Oh my. I laughed so hard the tears came when hearing family memories that ranged from inappropriate to downright embarrassing. I don't think I'll ever be able to look at bunnies the same way again.

I was immensely blessed to see my family so thoroughly and completely love Judah. That was good for my heart. I can't wait till the day when he can understand how blessed he is to be in the family that God placed him.

What a joy to see my other kids run and play for 7 days straight with cousins, cousins, and more cousins! To experience campfires, fishing, mini-golf, paddle boats, NERF & light saber wars, shell-collecting, swimming, sandcastle-building - fellowship - with cousins!

We got to top off the week with a wedding. We are now 1 more strong. Welcome to the family, J.N.! We might be a little crazy and overwhelming at times, but you couldn't ask to be a part of a more wonderful family...battle scars and all. I may be a little bias, but I think you'll agree. I also think we are pretty blessed to have you as one of our own. The wedding was sweet and simple; the bride and groom so beautiful in their straightforward commitment to God and each other. I can't remember the last time I was at a ceremony so saturated in prayer. It was a breath of fresh air.
For the next 3 yrs. we'll be talking about this reunion. Remembering, laughing, and eagerly anticipating the next one! We'll look often at this bottle, filled with memories, and smile. And then pray for the family that it represents.

God. Is. Good.

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't agree more. Thanks for articulating it so well.

    ReplyDelete