Monday, June 27, 2011

The Countdown

Tomorrow is the day! OK, I can't actually say with absolute certainty that Judah will go home tomorrow, but at this point it sure looks that way. Judah's CRP level is down to 5.7 (down from 19.7 on Saturday), and by tomorrow morning it should be normal, or veeeery nearly. He had a fever on and off yesterday evening, but as long as he stays normal through today and tonight & his CRP drops further, we're good to go.

We had a family field trip to the play room this morning. Judah had fun watching all of us play. The IV on his hand slows him down, but he is determined to be mobile! Jared and I had fun playing games with the kids, too.

Last night was a good night for Judah and Jared. Thank you, Jesus! It was a little bit different for me. I don't know why, but we Stewarts seem to be an all or nothing kind of clan. When it comes to stress...well, when it rains it pours. We're supposed to be leaving for WI on Friday, and I haven't done a thing to pack or get the house ready to show while we're gone. On Jared's way to the hospital yesterday afternoon, his car broke down. It is currently sitting at a gas station while Jared tries to figure out how to get it to the shop. Some "unfortunate events" occurred in Lydia's closet which required me to rip out her carpet & tack strip in there, and then wash the floor with bleach twice & warm soapy water once. I did a load of laundry last night, and when I went down to put the clothes in the dryer, my basement floor was covered in water. That was the last straw. I called Jared crying. When that didn't fix any of the problems I felt overwhelmed by, I admitted defeat, got ready for bed, and read for the next hour and a half. This morning I'm rolling my eyes and shaking my head about the whole thing. Things happen. What matters is my attitude and how I respond. [Aren't you proud of me, Mom?] So, in the light of day, back with my boy, I can see that this sequence of events is another opportunity to trust the Lord, and practice taking one thing at a time. One step at a time. One day at a time. When I think about it, it is kinda funny...in that Oh-Lord-help kinda way.

We had a cool conversation with the hospitalist this morning. After going over everything again, and talking about some of Judah's "issues" that complicate things, she said we've done an absolutely amazing job of keeping him out of the hospital! She said kids with Pan-Hypopituitarism (Judah's pituitary disease) are usually in the hospital much more often. That felt so good! And just a little while ago I was talking to his nurse. She remembered us from when Judah had his lip repair done in December of '09. I commented on how surprised I was that she remembered. She said, "Oh yeah! You're the kind of family you just don't forget!" Again, wow. These things make me feel so good; but I can't help but go right back to the Lord with that. To me, statements like that are just another evidence of His goodness. I believe He's the one in control of how often Judah is or isn't in the hospital, and He's the one who protects him. But it's also the Lord who has molded and shaped our family and attitudes to be who and what they are. I can't handle this stuff the way I do apart from God's over-abundant grace in my life, and the peace and strength that He provides. I work hard at managing Judah's care and making sure he's got the best of everything possible; but God is the One that equipped me for the unique task of caring for Judah in the first place. And He's the One who designed Jared & I to fit together to make the perfect team for our family. So, Lord, You know what a huge encouragement and boost it is to me to get affirmation like that; but I have to give YOU the praise and the glory! You are sovereign, so You can fit all the pieces together. You are in control, so I can trust You with every detail. You are the Great Physician, so I can trust You with Judah. You are GOOD, so I can rest, knowing that nothing comes to us without first being filtered through Your loving hands. Thank You!

Last night was challenging for me, too, because I was apart from Judah. The first time I've ever left him overnight in the hospital. It's so hard to feel torn between Jared, the 3 kids, and Judah. PLUS my other responsibilities at home. Since Judah is the smallest and most vulnerable, I am always drawn to him over the others. I'm not sure if that's right or wrong. Maybe it's not even a question of right or wrong. It's another life lesson I'm in process with. Time management and focusing on the task (or person) at hand, regardless of the distractions around me. Elijah, Ezra, and Lydia need my love, affection, and undivided attention no matter where Judah is, and it's a challenge for me to give them what they need when Judah isn't well. Same thing with Jared. I owe that man some serious face time when this is all over. I'm super excited about a family date we're having tonight! Jared & the kids are bringing a pizza and we're going to watch "The Parent Trap". Good times:)

Thanks to all of you who have so faithfully prayed for Judah and the rest of our family. Prayer is powerful, and for reasons that are beyond me, God chooses to use our prayers. Thanks for all the encouraging words that bring healing and renewal to our hearts. And thanks to our friends here who have had a very hands on role in making these last several days much easier and more enjoyable than they would have been otherwise. Not to mention the goodies that have certainly helped lift our spirits;)

1 comment:

  1. thanks for all these updates! love that I can be praying for you guys more specifically <3
    your testimony for Him is beautiful. love ya!!

    ReplyDelete