Thursday, January 9, 2020

Pursuing Joy Through Thanksgiving

I've been contemplating over the last few weeks the connection between Joy and Thanksgiving. I have felt very little joy in the last...well, honestly, few years probably. Battling depression has definitely played a part in that, but I don't believe for a second that I can't have depression and joy at the same time. God is the author of joy, His Spirit lives in me, and He is greater than depression. He's also greater than all my circumstances, and I believe that I can experience His joy regardless. I've just kinda lost my way. So, I'm pursuing joy by intentionally giving thanks. Those 2 things go hand-in-hand for Paul a lot. I mean, he's constantly giving thanks in all his worse-than-I-can-even-imagine circumstances and experiencing joy in the midst of them. And, I'm reminded again that God demands/desires thanksgiving from me. Again - 1 Thes. 5:18; Eph. 5:20; Ps. 50:14-15, 23; Ps. 116:17; 1 Chron. 16:8, 34; Ps. 107:1; Ps. 140:13; Ps. 109:30. When I tell my kids to do something, I can see the positive consequences that will come from their obedience. I can see the impact and how good it will be for them! God is the ultimate Parent. If He tells me to give thanks - knowing full well that I won't always feel thankful, and that it will often require sacrifice depending on the circumstances - can I not trust Him to have the same reasons for me that I do for my kids? That it's part of His best for me? That He sees how choosing thanksgiving will impact my heart and my life? Hmmm... I've never quite thought of the joy-thanksgiving relationship to this end before. I have a really hard time finishing my thoughts. Writing them down is a great answer to that problem. Anyway, all that to say, I just read a post from Sept. 2009 where I wrote down 100 things I'm thankful for. It's been 10 years since I've done that, and it's time. I am writing things I'm thankful for on my bathroom mirror. 1 new thing each day. And that's been a good discipline, but sitting here and coming up with 100 things all at once... This will be another good practice for my heart.

So, in no particular order...

1. JESUS
2. Heaven
3. Hope
4. Grace
5. Unconditional Love
6. Forgiveness
7. Jesus' FINISHED Work on the Cross
8. My Position in Jesus
9. God's Kindness
10. God's Faithfulness
11. Jared
12. Eli
13. George
14. Ezra
15. Lydia
16. Judah
17. Ollie
18. Birthday Puppy
19. Family
20. Community
21. Lifegroup
22. Corporate Worship
23. Music
24. Pain (definitely do NOT FEEL thankful for this one)
25. God never changes
26. He's always at work in my heart
27. God is ALWAYS GOOD
28. Home in the "country"
29. Land
30. YFC
31. Platteview
32. Small Town
33. Coffee
34. Colored Underwear
35. Fuzzy Socks
35. Sunshine
36. Summer
37. Spring Blooms
38. Date Nights
39. Margherita Pizza
40. Relationship with my kids
41. Snuggles
42. Jehovah Jireh - My Provider
43. Grief
44. The ability to write
45. Modern Technology and Medicine
46. Excellent care for Judah
47. Judah's Giggles
48. My Fireplace
49. Thick, Fuzzy Blankets
50. The beauty and freshness of snow
51. God's Word
52. The ability to create
53. God's Promises that do not fail
54. Hugs
55. Jared's arms that wrap around me, protect me, and hold me up
56. Safety and security that is found in obedience
57. God's Sovereignty
58. My Couch
59. Pillows
60. Creativity
61. My Kitchen
62. Time with Lydia
63. Hugs from Eli
64. Ezra's sense of humor
65. God's Omnipresence
66. Intimacy with Jesus
67. Books
68. God makes me wait
69. Margin in my schedule
70. Relationships with kids in the community
71. Slippers
72. Pink
73. Yummy-smelling things
74. Jesus' Birth, Death & Resurrection
75. Peppermint Mocha Creamer
76. Judah still likes to hold my hand
77. Lydia still likes to hold my hand
78. Jared still holds my hand...and doesn't let go
79. Bright Colors
80. God's loving discipline and correction
81. His relentless pursuit of me
82. Truth that He whispers to my heart daily
83. Goodwill mugs
84. New boots
85. Hobby Lobby
86. Gift Cards
87. Time with Jared
88. Authentic relationship with other women
89. Surrender and dependence on the only One Who is fully trustworthy and able
90. Healing
91. Cleansing Tears
92. Church in the car
93. Road Trips
94. Cake Stands
95. Autumn Colors
96. New Mercies
97. Truth
98. God's work in my kids' hearts
99. Freedom
100. Eternity with Jesus

Thanks for this time, God. This was good, good Church with You.

No comments:

Post a Comment