Friday, September 25, 2009

Grief

I've learned a lot about grief over the last 3 1/2 months. It's horrible. It's raw. It has stages. It's a process. You might move beyond a stage, but that doesn't mean you won't revisit that same stage at a later time. You have to work through grief. It's sneaky. Just when you think you're on top of it, it rears it's ugly head unexpectedly. Grief can kick your butt. It can leave you feeling lost and alone; and it can make you second guess yourself, stripping you of any self-confidence you might have. (Am I normal? Is it ok to grieve like this? Should I still be grieving?) But, it can also cause something really beautiful, healing, and life-changing to happen. It can drive you to your knees and thrust you into a desperate pursuit of Christ and a deeper intimacy with Him. A crying out, pleading, all-I-want-is-You kind of pursuit. This doesn't happen all the time. Some days the grief wins the battle. But even on those days I believe that God is at work, deep down in the hidden places of my soul, winning the war.

I grieve.

I mourn.

I lament.

I remember when our doctor thought that Judah might have Trisomy 18, and we were facing the possibility of losing him. At that point, I didn't care what kinds of disabilities or special needs he might have, as long as I could bring him home. I just wanted Judah. The day we found out that his chromosomes were normal, I felt like I could fly. Like a literal huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders. That day I wasn't grieving...it wasn't even a tiny blip on the radar. And I don't think I could have even guessed how hard the grief would hit me later. But here I am, with my beautiful, charming, darling boy, grieving. I don't grieve over Judah, or because of Judah. He's such a priceless gift! Such a treasure! I grieve over what I have lost, and what Judah has lost and will have to face. I lost the dream of a normal delivery and a healthy baby that could be with me. I lost the dream of a breastfeeding relationship. I'm still working on that one, but it will never be what it was with my other 3. Judah has lost a normal childhood, and I have lost the dream of that for him. I hate that he is facing a life with pain and disease and hospitalizations and surgeries and medications and doctors and other possible handicaps that we're not sure of yet. It's a fine line of grieving; mourning the circumstances surrounding this little person, not mourning the person.
The grief hits me at times that seem so wrong. My brother & sister-in-law are having a baby. A little girl. I rejoice with them, and I'm so excited! Another niece for me, another girl cousin for Lydia. I pray for her and love her already. They had their 20 week ultrasound yesterday. What a privilege for them to be able to see her, and also to be able to share the news that she's healthy! But in the midst of all of this happy news, I grieve all over again. I relive our 20 week ultrasound with Judah. The rest of my pregnancy. His birth and that time of separation. It hits me, and it's fresh all over again. It makes this time that should be nothing but joyous, bittersweet. I wonder, then, if parts of life will always be bittersweet. Will I always be contending with this grief; always experiencing sorrow in the midst of my joy? How frustrating is that? I don't want that. So, the question becomes, how do I find joy, real joy, that is alive and fresh and independent of my circumstances? Intellectually I know that my joy can't come from my circumstances or surroundings. I know that it comes from Christ. That's what I want. I want joy, not grief. Ecclesiastes says there is a time for dancing, too. Someday, I hope that God will help me to set aside my grief and experience true joy, dancing! Without even a hint of bittersweet. This side of Heaven.

4 comments:

  1. Stephanie R25/9/09 12:51 PM

    You are in my prayers, Bethany. I pray God gives you that joy even today, in the midst of your struggle with grief. HE can turn our mourning to dancing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ((hugs)) I am right there with you. You are so right, true joy comes only from Christ, but while we are here on earth there will always be times of grief. Looking forward to me and my children being make perfect someday in heaven!Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, yes & yes! After 17 years I still grieve for Christopher, but I hold on tight the wonderful moments I have with him.
    Bethany, I would like to share a poem with you that I received shortly after I found out that Christopher was handicapped (he was 6 months old)
    It's titled Welcome to Holland. by, Emily Perl Kingsley

    "I am often asked to describe the experience of raising a child with a disability- to try to help people who have not shared that unique experience to understand it, to imagine how it would feel. It's like this"
    When your going to have a baby, it's like planning a fabulous vacation trip to Italy. You buy a bunch of guidebooks and make your wonderful plans. The Coliseum, the Michelangelo David, the gondolas in Venice. You may learn some handy phrases in Italian. It's all very exciting.
    After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives. You pack your bags, and off you go. Several hours later the plane lands. The stewardess comes in and says, "Welcome to Holland."
    Holland?!?, you say. "What do you mean, Holland? I signed up for Italy! I'm supposed to be in Italy. All my life I dreamed of going to Italy."
    But there's been a change in the flight plan. They've landed in Holland, there you must stay.
    The important thing is that they haven't taken you to a horrible place. It's just a different place.
    So you must go out and buy new guidebooks. And you must learn a whole new language. And you will meet a whole new group of people you would of never met.
    It's just a different place. It's slower paced than Italy, less flashy than Italy. But after you've been there awhile and you catch your breath, you look around, and you begin to notice that Holland has windmills, tulips and even Rembrandt's.
    But everyone you know is coming and going to Italy, and they're all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there. And for the rest of your life you will say, "Yes, that's where I was suppose to go. That's what I had planned."
    The pain of that will never, ever, ever go away; because the loss of that dream is a very significant loss. But if you spend your life mourning that fact that you didn't get to Italy, you may never be free to enjoy the special, the very lovely things about Holland."

    I feel that God says it ok to grieve, but He also wants you to smell the tulips.
    So, Bethany, hang in there and know that God has a very, very special plan for you and your family.
    God's love and mine, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Diane, for sharing that poem; it was beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete