Friday, August 12, 2011

Day 1

Day 1 is coming to a close, and I'm so glad. Judah has slept since surgery. There was about an hour of restlessness and discomfort in the midst of sleep, but they gave him something for pain and he calmed down quickly. He's sleeping deeply now, and I'm so thankful for every minute he doesn't have to be awake and aware right now. I have no idea what tomorrow will bring for him, but I'm praying that a good, solid night of rest will do wonders. And a visit from his favorite brothers and sister will help, too, no doubt. We get to see them and our Omaha Granny for lunch:)

Speaking of which...

We have had to rely on friends and "family" so much more lately. These last few weeks have been so hard and weird; I don't know what would have happened had it not been for all the people God put beside, behind, and all around us. This surgery and stay comes with a first. Jared is out of town overnight for the annual Campus Life Student Leader Retreat. The timing of all this really sucks, and there was no way around it. It was hard knowing that Jared needed to be here, but he needed to be there, too...and we had to find some way to make both happen. Enter "Auntie" and "Granny". Jared was here with me until surgery was done. The kids spent the day at our best friends' house - Lydia getting all made up and playing with their 12 year old daughter, going to the park, McDonald's for lunch, the boys playing with Japanese toys I can't even pronounce (sorry, Owen) - and are now tucked in snugly at home with "Granny", the wonderful lady we lived with when we moved out here. I miss my family in WI so much it hurts sometimes; but the family we have here can never be replaced either! Thank You Lord! On top of all that the principle of the Boys' school lined up meals for us through the weekend. I'm not sure I can adequately describe what meals for my family does for my heart, but it's a very good thing. And apparently the lasagna they had tonight was the best EVER! I asked for leftovers for lunch tomorrow:) I miss Jared. But I'm beginning to see that this can be a good thing. This is an opportunity to see the Body of Christ moving, working, and ministering the way she is intended to. How can people bless if they're not given the opportunity to bless? How can we meet each others' needs unless we know what they are? Unless we know there are actually needs to be met? I am so often guilty of putting on the front of having it all together, not needing any help. So often the opposite is true. It's humbling to be in this position, but also cool to see God use others to meet our needs. I know, too, that those who get to bless also feel extremely blessed to be able to do so.

OK, I'm stepping down from my box. I'm tired and want to get some sleep before Judah might be awake or uncomfortable. More tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment