Sunday, September 4, 2011

August 28, 2011

This is a Sunday that will always be special to me. We publicly dedicated Judah to the Lord with our family, Omaha family, and church family all present (minus "Granny" whom we dearly missed) and Jared baptized Eli! It was one of the coolest church services ever! Our church (Finding Life Church, www.findinglifechurch.com) meets at an old school, so we had our baptism service at some one's home in Elkhorn. I loved, loved, loved the feeling of community as we all sat around the pool listening to several adults and children tell us how God drew them to Himself.

We got to start the service with Judah's dedication, sharing with everyone why we named him Judah, and then reading 4 passages of Scripture that are meaningful to us for Judah.

Exodus 15:2-3, 11
"The LORD is my strength and song, And He has become my salvation; This is my God, and I will praise Him; my father's God and I will extol Him. The LORD is a warrior; The LORD is His name. Who is like You among the gods, O LORD? Who is like You, majestic in holiness,
Awesome in praises, working wonders?"

1 Chronicles 16:8-12
Oh give thanks to the LORD, call upon His name; Make known His deeds among the peoples. Sing to Him, sing praises to Him; Speak of all His wonders. Glory in His holy name; Let the heart of those who seek the LORD be glad. Seek the LORD and His strength; Seek
His face continually. Remember His wonderful deeds which He has done, His marvels and the judgments of His mouth.

Psalm 13:5-6
But I have trusted in Your lovingkindness; My heart shall rejoice in Your salvation. I will sing to the LORD, Because He has dealt bountifully with me.

Psalm 62:8
Trust in Him at all times, O people; Pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us.

My other kids' dedications were very special and meaningful; but there was a depth to Judah's that superseded any other dedication I've been to. I had no problem giving my other kids back
to the Lord, committing to let them go whenever He called them home. But when I had to affirm
that in Judah's ceremony... I paused and couldn't say yes right away. We've actually been there with Judah already, more than once. That statement is very real to me, because I have already had to let him go several times. It was...powerful to know what I was saying when I said "Yes, God can have him back at any moment that He chooses." That sounds weird, but there it is. I guess this time around I'm just more aware of what God is asking of me. To let go and trust Him. Anyway...

It was the coolest baptism I've ever been to, too! Not only did I get to watch my oldest son publicly affirm that he loves and follows Jesus; but I got to watch his dad stand next to him, speak words of encouragement to him, and then baptize him! One of the best moments EVER!
On top of it all my parents and my brother and his family were there to share this with us; as well as are best friends and our favorite neighbor! God has really assembled an amazing group of people - family - that surround us here in Omaha.

I can't wait to get these pictures in our family summer book! There have been a lot of things that have happened this summer that I don't really want to remember; but this day is one that I will cherish, and will come back to many times through our book.



No comments:

Post a Comment