Friday, September 3, 2010

Progress!

I am so encouraged and excited and proud of Judah! He's been doing great since his diglut! On Wednesday we spent an hour with his speech therapist at Children's (in the new Specialty Pediatric Center - N.I.C.E.) and talked about how to approach feeding and drinking. He took several bites of pureed pear, a couple little puffs, and even "explored" and "tried" the sippy. (I had even gotten him to take several bites of baby food the night before & the morning of this appt.) Since Wednesday I have started a new routine with Judah. Before he gets fed through the button I offer baby food, puffs, and thickened water. He's been doing so well! It will be a long, slow process to reach the goal of a normal diet and removal of the button, but I'm very encouraged by Judah's start. I'm confident that with time Judah really will stop aspirating, and someday we'll look back at this time in his life and say "Remember when...".

I'll have to post a video soon. He's just too cute when he's trying these new things...sitting in the booster seat that he barely fits in! Methinks a highchair might be in order. Something more supportive and comfortable for him.

On a side note... We had a lapse in Judah's Growth Hormone Replacement Therapy (GHRT) and he didn't get an injection for a week. He went 6 days without vomiting, a record since the end of June. I was anxious about starting up again, because even though his vomiting improved after we switched drugs, he was still vomiting every 2-3 days (at least) for an unknown reason. I was still thinking that there had to be a connection. We've started the GHRT again, and 3 injections later he still hasn't vomited. I'm wondering if the little bit of food he's eating is enough to make a difference here. The time he started solids coincides with the time he's been back on the Norditropin. Hmmm... Can't wait to talk about this with Dr. D. in October. My notebook already has several questions in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment