Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The diglut. did not go well, and Judah is still aspirating thin & nectar consistency liquids. Bad news. I was wrong, and Judah can still move to a sippy (of sorts) and start taking steps forward. Good news. Judah did great with baby food during the diglut. - a first - and, overall, I'm encouraged. Also good news.

That's the long and short of it. I didn't realize that I was limiting Judah. I thought that he was stuck on a bottle as long as he was aspirating. I'm so glad I was wrong about that! This is where my love for therapist's innovation and creativity come in. Tomorrow he's going to start learning how to drink through a straw! He'll use a honey bear. That's right, the cute little honey bear that sits on your grocer's shelf. Put a little plastic straw in the tip, and you have a great tool to teach a kid like Judah how to drink! No more bottles! We have steps in place now to move forward. It's going to be a long, slow process, and will take more patience than I have today, but we'll get there. And we might even meet our 12 mo. goal!

So, like I said, it didn't go well, and I was disappointed; but Judah's speech therapist at Children's is great and she encouraged me. She's confident that getting him past his "oral aversion" and just giving him time is what he needs to move past the aspiration. We will get there...eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment