Tuesday, August 10, 2010

From the Fourth Floor III

Shower. Coffee. Muffin. I am a new woman. It's amazing to me how therapeutic these small things can be...makes me thankful.

More thanks from us this morning:

*Judah had a good night last night. We both got some good stretches of sleep, and he was very comfortable for most of the night.

*His fever was gone all night long, and he was able to go the entire night without any morphine.

*The pediatric surgeon came by at 11:30 last night to check on him and made a couple changes in his g button care that allowed Judah to be more comfortable.

*For a thoughtful, sensitive husband who not only gave me the change from our change cup so I could get coffee & a muffin, but also sent along a little pick-me-up with my best friend last night!

*We're on the East side of Children's & the sun is shining brightly into our room:)

*God reminded me last night that His faithfulness is great, beyond my understanding, and His mercies are new every morning. I was able to go to sleep with that promise in the forefront of my mind for this morning.


Prayers from us:

*Pain management and decreased pain for Judah.

*Judah's stomach is still distended and has too much air in it. Today I'm going to pray out the poop! His feeds have had to be delayed because of the gas in his belly, and that delay could potentially cause his home-going to be delayed.

*Rest for both of us today; but I'm really more concerned about Judah's rest. I want so badly for him to be comfortable and peaceful!

*Judah's gauze pack won't come out until sometime tomorrow morning. So, prayer for comfort in that area, and that he won't have such a hard time with it today, like he did yesterday. And I have a pretty bad attitude about it. I'm frustrated and disappointed. I need to remember that God is ultimately caring for Judah, and that gauze pack is what is best for him right now. I'm mad at him, but I do still really like our plastic surgeon.

*For Jared & the kids while they're at home and we're apart. I love talking to them when they're on their own! It's so fun to hear about what the kids are doing, what Daddy fixed for lunch or supper, what they played during the day, and how Lydia got her hair done! I miss them, though.

This stay is not exactly going according to plan. I'm not sure where I got the idea that it would. I mean, we're talking about Judah here - wonderfully complicated little Judah. --OK, so right here I was going to say, "It's hard not to be discouraged or disappointed", but Dr. D., Judah's endocrinologist that I LOVE came in! What a relief and encouragement to see him! He's familiar and I trust him and I know him and I just like him. He came to check on Judah and make some recommendations for Judah's stress hormone medication. Very important stuff when you're sick & in pain and your body doesn't produce the stress mechanism you need to physically deal with it. Anyway, that was a gift - thank You, Lord. Then, as we were talking, Judah woke up. I went over to him and for the first time he lifted his little elbow-restrained arms up to me. He let me kiss his little hand. I'm sitting on his bed next to him while he lies awake, looking around and up at me. Another gift. This experience, these circumstances, are difficult; but I have just been reminded again that God is intimately involved in the details. He loves us so thoroughly and delights in us, hand-delivering these little "gifts" along the way. He is the One that makes this journey possible and passable. And when we feel like we can't take another step, He picks us up and carries us. He's so personal and so good.

To GOD be the Glory!

1 comment:

  1. Kamille Wilkinson10/8/10 12:15 PM

    Dearest Bethany, I wish I could simply had you the change in my jar...you are so welcome to it! Continued prayers to the One who is in control. We love you ! Aunt Kamille

    ReplyDelete