Tuesday, August 24, 2010

6 days & counting...

That's right, I am literally counting the days until we can burn these restraints! Actually, his OT & PT have requested that I NOT burn them so that they can use them on Judah's legs to "encourage" (and when I say "encourage" I mean "force") him to bear weight on his legs. Anyway, we're almost there! And, really, Judah is handling them way better than I am;)

We saw the pediatric surgeon this morning (boy do I like him) and when he looked at Judah's G Button site he said, "Wow, that looks fantastic!". Apparently, Judah's site is healing exceptionally well, & looks great, which is not all that common. Well Praise the Lord! It seems like Judah always has something going on, some complication - something - so any news like that is a big encouragement to me:) The rest of the appointment went well, and overall we got a good report.

I'm also excited, because over the weekend Judah turned that final corner to being back to his normal, unreasonably happy, giggly self! It has been so much fun to see him laughing so easily again, and I love hearing his new sound:)

Yesterday I had the privilege of participating in the regional planning meeting for Judah's IFSP (therapy) program. His teacher asked me to be a parent representative on the regional planning team. We meet just about every month, and I get reimbursed for attending - nice! There are representatives from the school district, Head Start, Health & Human services, the pre-school IEP program, and even our children's librarian. I was a little intimidated and felt totally out of my league. Not to mention the fact that I felt beyond comfortable in this new situation where I knew only 2 people. It went really well, though. The main purpose of this team, in the broadest sense, is to improve and refine their services to help the "special" child & his family, and to help as many as possible. It's a very good thing. They ask for parents to be on the team so that they have real people going through this stuff to offer their perspective and "expertise". They asked me to be on the team because of my "experience with almost every medical field", and the positive relationships I've built with so many different doctors. Not experience or relationships I asked for, but definitely both that God is using for His good. This is another opportunity to rub shoulders with others who don't know Him, but at the same time be a part of affecting change for differently-abled kids & their families. How cool is that?

And here's something new and totally unexpected. The Lord has dropped an opportunity in my lap to be a part of a new business venture of sorts. My good friend and I are going to be making slings for some doulas in town. They'll be buying them from us, and selling them to their clients; and we'll also be trying to sell them to others. It's a great connection, and I really believe that this is from God's hand. I have no idea what this will turn into, but I'm committed to doing whatever I can to glorify God through this, and allow Him to use me and this opportunity for His glory. I'll put more details down later...after our first official "business meeting" on Thursday:) We've gotta come up with a name & website, and figure out some other details as well. I'm excited!

One more thing. I've been seeing more and more lately (I think because, for some reason, God is allowing me to see) how I've grown in the last year...and even just in the last several months. I feel like I've grown by leaps and bounds more recently, though I'm not sure exactly why. It seems like more often than not we (or maybe just I) don't have the privilege of seeing growth, but just keep striving for results that we only wish we could see. Anyway, I just wanted to confess publicly that the changes I see in myself are not my doing, and are in no way because of anything that I have brought about. Any good that I can see in myself is only because of Christ in me, and HIS faithfulness to work in and refine me. I have noticed a shift in my attitude towards certain things, a stronger desire for Him to work in me, an urgency to see His grace & goodness & glory made known to others, and a desire for a deeper love and respect for my husband. There's no way in heck-fire that a single iota of any of these things could come from myself. I recognize that, God, and I place the glory and honor and thanks for these things at Your feet. Thank You for not giving up on me. For not abandoning me. For being faithful to make me more like Your Son. For extending grace and gentle discipline to me as I fail. And then for extending that grace to me so I can get back up and try again. God, You are so amazing! Thank You for giving me a deeper desire for YOU! And thank You for the gift of my family - Jared, Elijah, Ezra, Lydia, Judah - who are a constant reminder to me of Your love and goodness.

Wow, I feel like I just had a little bit of church there! Sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment