Friday, July 22, 2011

For those of you keeping track...

...here is some update stuff on the Little Lion.

Right now Judah is in MRI. This is the one the neurologist ordered to determine whether or not Judah's brain stem has an issue that is causing the droopy eyelids and limited eye movement. For the first time they let me come back to the procedure room with him! I got to carry him back there and hold him tight until they put him to sleep. It was so cool for me - and good for my mama heart - to be able to hold him close while they put the mask over his face to give him the gas to knock him out. He was totally relaxed, looking into my eyes one second; and the next he was totally out. He doesn't even know we're separated right now, and I love that! I'm going to make a point of asking every time now if I can go back with him. Not that I expect to be here for an MRI all the time... We'll have the results of the MRI sometime next week and then we'll go from there in deciding how best to treat Droopy Jud-y.

Judah has been healthy since leaving Children's at the end of June. His palate revision has been delayed and will hopefully be rescheduled in October. His ureter will be repaired on August 12. The dr. will remove the obstruction and put in a stint; and hopefully Judah will remain infection free here on out. I'm praying that this will just be an overnight, without any complications that would keep him here longer.

This Champ has hit some exciting milestones, too!
On July 1 he moved out of the infant car seat! Woot! Woot! He'll be rear-facing indefinitely, but that car seat thing sure was a big deal:)

He has also grown 12 inches in 12 months! 12 INCHES!!! Those 12 mo. clothes are getting tight and short around the middle:) Come fall, he'll be quite comfortable in 18! It's the little things...

It's been fun to see him hit some developmental milestones just in the last week. He is finally making connections between objects and their functions! He picked up a play phone and held it close to his ear! He thought it was hilarious when I started saying "Hi, Grandma!" like he was talking to her (which is one of his favorite things to do, by the way); and now it's a game he loves to play. He picked up a comb and tried combing his hair! He puts his shirt on his head! And at Goodwill, he picked up the tie out of the cart and put it around his neck! He might not have any verbal words, but he is understanding more and more words cognitively. I'm adding new signs pretty consistently now, so we'll see what he does with that. He doesn't have anything new yet, but I know he recognizes most of the words we're saying/signing.

I'm excited for Judah to get his own gait trainer. We're borrowing one from the city through his early intervention program, but when we move we have to give it back. His PT decided to write an order for him to get his own so that there's no interim period without one when we get to the new district.

I also found out that I might be able to opt Judah out of preschool! This is something that has been on my mind for the last several months. I know preschool is still another year away for him (Early Intervention is birth-3 in the home, and then services are provided through the school at age 3), but I have struggled with this. Because we're moving to a new district and will be working with a new team, this is something that I needed to talk about with our current Services Coordinator. I'm so encouraged, because based on Judah's medical history and depressed immune system, there's a very good chance that I can keep him at home and he will continue to receive the services he needs through the school system! Praise. The. Lord. It's something to pray about if you ever think of it, because this is the option that I strongly believe is the best for Judah!

Those are the highlights. The rest of us are doing well, too. I'm looking forward to a low-key week in WI next week while Jared is in the CO mountains for YFC Camp. I am NOT looking forward to being apart from Jared, but I am looking forward to some extra time with my folks. They're such a huge help when Jared's gone. I like them a lot;) Not to mention the fact that Grandma & Grandpa's house is a magical place when you're 9, 6, & 4 and you get to do special things there that you don't get to at home.

While I'm on the subject of my parents... HAPPY 40th ANNIVERSARY (July 24th) & HAPPY 70th BIRTHDAY, DAD (Aug. 2nd)!!! This is a big summer for you, two!

Before you know it we'll be back home, settling in for a new school year. Yikes. This summer has flown by! Better enjoy what's left of it...

2 comments:

  1. Jodie Hansen22/7/11 12:16 PM

    ((((hugs)))) from a mama who is there with you! You are doing a great job of leaning on Christ and others when you need encouragement. It is so neat to hear all of Judah's updates. I think that the going back into the operating room is an age thing. David has to be put under once a year and I go back with him everytime, but didn't when he was an infant. I would also definatly check into opting out of preschool. I think that it may be different in each state, but our school district here has provided services in the home for David ever since he turned 3. He is 5 1/2 this year, but since leagal reporting age in WI is 6 as of Sept. 1, I will not be declaring him Kindergarten until 2012, which means that they will continue to provide services in the home until that time. We have had excellent therapists and case workers who have truely tried to fit our schedule as much as possible. David really misses them now that it is summer time.

    I am continuing to keep your family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet Richer22/7/11 12:38 PM

    This was so good to read Bethany. Your little Champ is amazing - and so are you guys! Love you and will be praying for the things that you mentioned.
    Love, Janet

    ReplyDelete