Sunday, July 31, 2011

Pursuing Praise

Psalm 9:1-2
I will give thanks to the LORD with all my heart; I will tell of all Your wonders. I will be glad and exult in You; I will sing praise to Your name, O Most High.

13:5-6
But I have trusted in Your lovingkindness; My heart shall rejoice in Your salvation. I will sing to the LORD, Because He has dealt bountifully with me.

16:11
You will make known to me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; In Your right hand there are pleasures forever.

27:6b
I will sing, yes, I will sing praises to the LORD.

Discouragement is knocking at the door. I can feel it. I know that if I don't actively pursue an attitude of praise, it will break down the door and overwhelm me. I'm reading Psalms of praise and joy this morning, choosing to trust God and believe that He is exactly who He says He is. I fear that if I choose anything else, I'll be swallowed up; because there are no answers right now. I choose to respond to Christ's working in my heart and believe that He is here, He is in control, and His plan for Judah is perfect. I don't understand how a perfect plan can involve pain, but I know that God is only good and only right. I know that there is sin in the world, and so there is pain. But Home awaits us. Anyway, I'd love to hear your favorite verses of praise and joy! I need suggestions, and lots of them, because I don't know how long we'll be here this time.

Judah had a rough night, and spiked another fever this morning. As long as the Tylenol manages that, he feels pretty good and is smiley and playful. Not quite himself, but close. He has another renal ultrasound this morning. He's on 3 regularly scheduled antibiotics right now to cover a wide range of possible bacteria. His urine is full of bacteria and white blood cells; more so than it was during either of his 2 previous admits. The doctors (pediatrician & infectious disease) can't figure that one out. Not sure yet if this is new or still the active infection. At this point, surgery can still happen on the 12th, but that could change. Urology will be by later. There's not really much else to tell. There are no conclusive answers right now, and this whole thing isn't making much sense.

I'm frustrated by our total lack of control and even knowledge in this situation right now. God can see exactly what's going on. He can see every minute detail of Judah's complicated renal anatomy and disease. In one sense that's a comfort; but in another sense it's almost maddening, because He's not enlightening anybody else yet. So, this is where I remind myself that He is sovereign, and His ways and thoughts aren't mine. Which is a good thing. He loves Judah. He loves, loves, loves him.

Don't forget to send me verses. Please! Praise and Joy!

1 comment:

  1. Bethany, these verses are very important to me right now. I'm sure these are ones that you have clung to as well. But occasionally we need to hear them again.

    Isaiah 26:3-4 You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you. Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord God is an everlasting rock.

    Psalm 33:20-22 Our soul waits for the Lord; he is our help and our shield. For our heart is glad in him, because we trust in his holy name. Let your steadfast love, O Lord, be upon us, even as we hope in you.

    Philippians 4:4-9 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me - practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

    I am praying for Judah and for you.
    Alison B.

    ReplyDelete