Sunday, July 24, 2011

Mom and Dad

My parents are extraordinary. God made a beautiful match when He made them for each other. I'm deeply grateful for the privilege of growing up with them as my parents - my models for a godly man and woman, for a godly marriage, for godly parenting.

While I know my parents aren't perfect and have had their struggles and battles in marriage, I don't remember them ever really fighting. They disagreed about things; but there was never any question that Dad was the head of our household. Dad loved Mom and respected her thoughts and opinions. He showed love to her and took care of her. Mom respected Dad and submitted to his leadership. She honored him and valued him by instilling in me a love and admiration for my dad that belonged to no other. They each had their own set of responsibilities in and outside of the home, but they also made a great team, and things at home ran smoothly. They were happy to see each other, they were affectionate, they loved spending time together, they held hands. 40 years later, these things remain true.

They've been through a lot together in 40 years. The loss of work, the loss of a child, the loss of a dream of being overseas missionaries, the loss of parents, the loss of a son. They have been faithful to God and to each other through every loss and I have seen God work and provide. New jobs, new dreams, the privilege of serving missionaries stateside, the hope of being reunited with child and parents, deep meaningful relationships with family members and friends, the restoration of a son. They are each gifted uniquely and I have seen them use their gifts for God's glory. I have seen them cling to God individually and together, and I have seen them grow and change in the same way. I don't know of any time in 40 years when either of them walked away from the Lord or from each other.

My parents have exemplary characters. They both have this amazing work ethic that is an example to everyone they work with now, or have in the past. They are a man and woman of integrity; dependable, trustworthy, kind, compassionate, generous, and selfless. They know how to love others. They know how to follow God in meeting the needs of others. They understand that what they have and who they are is the Lord's, and they surrender that to Him, to be used for His glory.

My parents are in it for the long haul. And I don't just mean with each other. They have never held to the philosophy that once the kids leave home they're "free". They have somehow maintained a balance of stepping back and allowing us to be independent of them, pushing us to "leave and cleave"; and yet still remain involved, supportive, and totally available. There is not a doubt in my mind that my parents are there for me and my brother, regardless of the need or the level of commitment or sacrifice meeting the need might require. They trust the Lord with us, they point us to Christ; but they walk beside us as well. They have extended themselves to their grandchildren, and are committed to pointing them to Christ also. They are passionate about their grands knowing and serving Jesus, and they live a life of loving Jesus in front of them.

My parents are servants. I can't remember a time from my growing-up years when my parents were not involved on a Missions Committee and in some other capacity at church. Their love for the Body of Christ is evident in their willingness to serve her, whatever that might look like as God works. They're both great with kids, but also wonderful examples to young men and women. Mom is a whiz at all things crafty, and loves creating for others. Dad is a sponge when it comes to the Word, and loves talking about theology. He can communicate God's character and what He has taught him to others in meaningful ways, because of choosing to live life as His student. They touch others' lives by being thoughtful and gracious. Not confrontational or abrasive.

My parents are my friends. They somehow instinctively made the transition from parent to friend, and they did it well. Yet, Mom knows when I need to her to be Mom, and there is a little part of me that will always be Daddy's little girl. I love spending time with my parents, playing games, talking, taking walks, shopping with Mom. And I consider it a privilege to claim the responsibility of caring for them when they get older should God allow that. I am eager to spend that time with them, serving them and providing for them. How could I feel any other way after their lifetime of caring for us in so many tangible and intangible ways?

My parents are phenomenal grandparents. They don't overstep boundaries of discipline or spoiling; yet they thoroughly love and cherish their grandkids, finding unique ways to show them that they are special and valued. My heart warms and I can't help but smile at the fact that my dad will babysit his grandkids by himself. Have play dates with them. Take them for bike rides, to the park, out for ice cream, play games, teach them about cars and birds and life, and "oh" and "ah" at every dress up outfit. I am so proud of the father that he is for me, and the grandfather he is for my children and nieces and nephew. My nieces and daughter are blessed to have a grandma who will teach them to sew, to cook (and include the curious boys), to create, who reads to them, sits on the floor and plays kitchen and dolls with them, and will leave a written legacy of love and memories for them (and the boys). Judah is immensely blessed to have them on his team - 2nd string as Grandma says - loving him, cheering for him, adoring who he is.

My parents laugh. And they make us laugh. Well, Dad's really got the corner on that market. They laugh at and with each other, and they can laugh at themselves. They're fun to be with! And they're great friends...with one another and to others.

40 years. July 24, 1971 marked one of the most important days in my history. The day my parents committed their lives to each other. The day they promised to love and serve each other before the Lord. The day they re-committed themselves to the Lord, and made a new commitment to Him as a couple, a family.

It was a new chapter in the story of the beautiful , young nurse and the handsome sailor. I love knowing that, because of Christ and our hope of eternity, this story can only end with the words...

And they lived happily ever after.

Happy Anniversary, Mom and Dad.

1 comment:

  1. You put it all so eloquently. Your mom and dad are extremely special people. They are so loving and so kind. You have grown so much into being like you mother. They are so blessed, as you and those who know them.

    Happy Anniversary to your parents.
    Love
    Esther S.

    ReplyDelete